Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I turned myself in warrant and bailed out. 3 days later the

Customer Question

I turned myself in for a warrant and bailed out. 3 days later the police came to my home. What should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

What happened when the police came to your home? Did you let them in? Did they search your premises and arrest you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wasn't home. Again I had an warrant in one county I turned myself in and bailed out, and 3 days later the county I live in the sheriff came to my home.

Thanks. Do you suspect that he's come to arrest you for the out of county warrant, or is there some new local matter that's the issue here?

The best way to find out what's going on would be to have your lawyer on the out-of-county case call the police and find out what they wanted. I wouldn't suggest you do this yourself as you could be walking into an arrest or an interrogation, neither of which may be necessary.

If you don't have a lawyer, doing nothing is the best course. They will come back and if it's about the out of county warrant, you could show them that you already returned on that. If it's not about that but about some other incident, do not discuss that incident with the police, since anything you say can be used againt you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe it's for the matter I turned myself in for already. Why is it that one county doesn't know and cancel the warrant with the other county?

Good question. One agency doesn't necessarily know what another is doing, even in the same county. In a perfect world, the police would already know. But they often don't.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is it I need to do, to clear this up?

I've already answered that. You can talk to the police and let them know that you've already turned yourself in and vacated the warrant. But because it's not usually safe for a criminal defendant to reach out to the police without counsel, it makes more sense to have your lawyer call them and ask what they want with you.