LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I am applying job that requires clearance to work with

Customer Question

I am applying for a job that requires clearance to work with children. They employer also requires me to disclose any convictions and to include with my application a copy of the investigative report by the arresting agency and a copy of the court docket. The only offense I can include is a juvenile offense. When I went to request copies of these documents the juvenile court said they had no record of me (I was told they were likely purged), and the arresting agency told me they could not provide the investigative report because juvenile records are confidential. Is it possible to get these documents and if so how?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It is not possible to get records that are purged, and in order to get a juvenile arrest record from the police you would have to get a court order for the release of the records. This should not be a problem as the employer knows that you do not have access to juvenile arrest records and they will accept a letter form the court indicating that no records exist any longer.

The NCIC check that will be done through the FBI will be what really is important and that should be clear unless your juvenile crime amounted to a felony. Then it will likely appear on your NCIC record. You should consider getting an NCIC report on yourself. http://www.ehow.com/how_8182215_request-ncic-report.html

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug