Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in colorado. One of the taxis I own was totaled by a

Customer Question

I live in colorado. One of the taxis I own was totaled by a drunk driver about 4 months ago . The insurance company has paid me for the car. And am now fighting for lost wages from them. Will I possibly be awarded any punitive damages from the criminal case?? Do I need to hire an attorney or contact the da?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Punitive damages are a civil award, so it wouldn't be awarded in a criminal proceeding. The only thing that a criminal case can award is restitution.....which is to cover your property damage/loss.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

IF you want to seek punitive damages, you would have to sue in civil court.....which would require you to hire an attorney (especially if you're incorporated because a non-lawyer cannot sue on behalf of his/her corporation, LLC, etc.).