Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My grandson is in jail in Alabama by deception and burglary,

Customer Question

My grandson is in jail in Alabama for theft by deception and burglary, which is a felony. He did not commit the burglary but he did pawn some of the stolen property. They arrested him because the wanted him to talk and give up the name of the person who committed the robbery, but he wouldn't do it. He wants to plead guilty because no one will bond him out and he thinks he will just get probation and restitution. We want him to plead not guilty, but everyone in jail is saying he may be in there up to 2 years while he is waiting to go to trial. Should he plead guilty or not guilty?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

But I am not sure I understand your question...would it help to chat on the phone about this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hope much is it too talk on the phone
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't afford any more money

I understand. I will opt out and allow someone else to assist you

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

What level burglary has he been charged with? If a burglary in the first or second degree, there's not going to be an offer of probation, and if he goes to trial, he's looking potentially at years of prison. Has he been assigned a public defender yet and been arraigned on the charges?