Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a drug charge to face at court tomorrow. It's my

Customer Question

Hi I have a drug charge to face at court tomorrow. It's my first ever charge and it was for
1 count of unlawfully importing a controlled substance
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us about this charge?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just wanting to know what I should do when I go tomorrow. If I should plead guilty and see what the outcome is. It's my first and only ever charge. Should I adjourn my court case to seek more advice? I am really worried about going to jail
Thank you for your reply.
First of all, you should NOT just plead guilty. You must have an attorney, because importing controlled substances can lead to an extensive prison sentence (potentially up to 10-25 years depending on quantity and substance). As a first offender, if you have an attorney, the prosecutor will usually offer some type of deal to you with only a fine, but they are not going to just offer it to you unless you are represented by an attorney. If you cannot get a local attorney to go to court with you tomorrow, you should adjourn the case for you to get one, which really is necessary if you want to avoid jail.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will adjourn. It was well under the limit to be classed as trafficking. 3g at the most.
Thank you for your reply.
It is still serious because it is an importation charge, not a mere possession charge.