Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I failed a drug test on deversion. Have a court date and

Customer Question

I failed a drug test on deversion. Have a court date and need a public defender
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The Defendant can ask the Court for a public defendant at the hearing. The Judge will likely ask the Defendant to fill out a financial affidavit or simply quiz the Defendant verbally before making a decision. Either way, the Court may then be continued for later to give time for the Defendant to touch base with an appointed attorney or, if denied, to retain one.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No help but thank
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
JustAnswer experts cannot take customers on as clients. We can only provide general information. You asked about a public defender, and I explained how this works. If you'd like more information about anything related to the case, simply reply and ask. I would be glad to help.