RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I will be filing assault charges tomorrow on a guy regarding

Customer Question

Customer: I will be filing assault charges tomorrow on a guy regarding an incident last week. The police came and I received a case number. Once I file this action will the perpetrator be stopped from leaving this state? My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: In Alabama.......my daughter's abusive boyfriend pushed me down in the street. There are witnesses, a poise report and a case number. She [age 22 = adult] is planning to move out of state with him this week and I fear for her. If I file tomorrow will this prohibit his leaving this jurisdiction?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes thanks!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Unfortunately, an individual can't really "press charges" - despite the way that police shows make it look on television in the movies. Only the state, through the prosecutor's office, has the right to do that. What you can do is file a police report. The police will investigate, and then determine if they have what is known as probable cause, or a reasonable belief that a crime was committed. The police can then make an arrest, and/or send the file to the prosecutor's office to make a final determination whether to charge the person. Since you already filed the police report, you're basically waiting now. You can try to follow up with the prosecutor's office in the county where this happened, but they are often so busy it may be challenging to get someone to speak with you right away.

With respect to your specific question, no, even if the state files charges on him, this does not prevent a person from leaving the jurisdiction. Only a judge can order that, and honestly, in my experience, it's not typically done except in high profile cases or cases with more serious charges. A prosecutor can certainly request that the judge order it -that the individual surrender his passport, or be put on GPS monitoring, for example, but the court has final say.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating (3-5 stars) before signing out, as that is the only way experts on this site are paid a portion of your deposit and credited for our time and expertise. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am confused about the fees that are showing on my CC for this. You indicated $18, which I agreed to. I now see one charge for $31 and another for $5 today. Please explain discrepancy.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have anything to do with the fees, unfortunately --I am only a legal expert on this site and simply answer questions for customers, so I wouldn't be the person to talk to about the fee they charged. I would suggest contacting customer service at this link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If there is nothing further I can assist you with, please kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts are compensated on this site for their time and information, and a portion of you deposit is released to us. Thank you again for using Just Answer!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.