Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was arrested and detained in spain 12 years ago i was

Customer Question

Customer: i was arrested and detained in spain 12 years ago i was released without bail and the british army flew me back to the UK. i was arrested for assault i was wondering what implications where if i was to return to spain
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i was out on a night out returned back to docks where i was staying didn't have enough money for taxi. the taxi driver got upset etc took my watch and wallet. a few others came over shouting at me in spanish and i lashed out at one of them possibly breaking his nose. i was detained for 3/4 days put in front of judge then released without bail back in to Army custody this happened in Lanzarote.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes thats fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have never been back to Spain since and would like to visit but the thought of getting arrested at the airport worries me. i live in the UK and this is the only time i have ever been in trouble with any police
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
We cannot check the criminal records in Spain, that is the issue. If you were arrested in Spain and then released without bail and returned to the military, then chances are there are no further charges or warrants for your arrest (especially since they are an EU country and the warrant would have followed you to the UK), but we cannot verify that. You can check via Interpol through your local police agency though, since Interpol has criminal records throughout the world and they would have to do a records check to make sure you are clear and that is the only way for you to know for certain.