Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I stole a phone charger at Kohls, got confronted by their LP

Customer Question

I stole a phone charger at Kohls, got confronted by their LP guys who wanted me to follow them in a room and i refused.They followed me in the parking lot and i threw the item and they picked up.After i left, they called the police, i got pulled over and the Kohls LP guys came and took my infos and told me to expect a fine in the mail and also expect criminal charges.Should i pay the fine?What happens if i pay or do not pay?Should i hire an attorney?The item cost $100
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Under MD law, the merchant can either issue a civil fine demand and/or file criminal charges. Most times, the merchant will issue a civil fine and bar you from the store. But it seems this time the merchant is going to do both.

If you pay the fine or not, they are still going to prosecute you. I suggest because there is a risk of jail time - though highly unlikely on a first offense - but since there is a possibility of it, you should consider having a local attorney go to court with you.

A misdemeanor theft carries a potential sentence of imprisonment of not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $500, or both.

And that is the criminal penalty and fine. The Civil penalty/fine is in addition thereto.