Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I'm on parole in Texas, I would like to know if I would have

Customer Question

I'm on parole in Texas, I would like to know if I would have a chance of getting my sentence commuted, pardoned or reduced in any way. I was convicted of poss. of a controlled substance, my first drug case, and 3rd conviction, two prior mistimeanors both for shoplifting (theft). I've done ten yrs. which includes parole on a 30 yr. sentence I currently report every 90 days.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Could you be more specific in your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm currently on parole in Texas under Texas law Can I Get My sentence reduced from 30 yrs. down to something that's reasonable, since I'm seeing people that have killed someone get 10 yrs or less is it possible to get my sentence commuted or a pardon ?

It's possible to apply for a pardon or a commutation and a pardon but those aren't done through the court system, those are done through the Texas board of pardons and Parole and then, ultimately, through the Governor's office. However, they are as much political as anything else and so it's important that you choose an attorney that is experienced in this area.

There is really no way to get a sentence reduced if the appeal has already been completed. You can try a Writ of Habeas Corpus but those are rare and usually based on new evidence. If you decide to try that route then you would want to interview a lawyer who has experience in that area and let them look at the case and see if there is anything there to work with.

The argument that the sentence was too long won't be effective so you have to find something else to rely on.