Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

Renewing a passport while owing the IRS
, I am

Customer Question

Customer: renewing a passport while owing the IRS
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am currently in Peru and my passport has expired. I have not paid taxes in years. I am thinking to go into the Embassy here, but fear getting arrested for tax evasion
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been receiving income, but the deposits have been made into someone else´s bank account. This has been going on for a few years now. I fear that I am wanted for tax evasion now. A new law was passed at the end of last year that says if you owe more than 50k your passport will be revoked. I owe probably somewhere around 300k or more. If I attempt to renew, will I be arrested inside the US embassy?
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

No, it's unlikely that you'd be arrested at the embassy, but, if your tax status is checked upon application for the passport, that information could be turned over to the IRS criminal division. If the criminal division pursues, and determines that you've evaded tax, then they will seek to arrest you.

If you're arrested, the U.S. will likely rescind your passport.

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know. If not, please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response is positively (three stars of more) rated.

Thank you.