Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

I was on the first offenders program in Ohio around a decade

Customer Question

I was on the first offenders program in Ohio around a decade ago and passed it.Do I have to pay to get the record expunged before I can get a rifle out of pawn?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.

Good evening:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your First Offender Program question.

I understand you say you have been clean since then. Have you had any other arrests and convictions, for either misdemeanors or felonies, either before or after your first offender program completion?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A couple traffic violations, but nothing more than a speeding ticket or two.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The traffic violations were after I completed the program.

Thank you for that information.

The reason I ask is because a successful completion of the First Offender Program will lead to dismissal of the case. This means that you have not been convicted for the offense.

Furthermore, you have not been convicted of any other misdemeanor or felony as well. This is important because felons are prohibited from possessing firearms. The fact that you are NOT a convicted felon (or convicted of a disqualifying misdemeanor for firearm purposes), you do not have to expunge the records before getting the rifle out of the pawn shop.

A background search will reveal only that you were arrested and given First Offender probation for the offense, but not convicted. It is a conviction that would disqualify you from possessing the rifle. Since a conviction was not entered against you, you will not be prohibited from getting the rifle back.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

If not, please do not forget to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance positively as experts do not get credited for helping a customer until a customer ACCEPTS and RATES.

Thank you!

Please remember to click ACCEPT and RATE MY ASSISTANCE POSITIVELY if I have sufficiently assisted you so I may be credited for taking the time to help you. Thank you.

It has been a few days since the last posting regarding your question.

If you have no other questions, please comply with the Terms of Service and click ACCEPT if I have sufficiently assisted you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT if you have no further questions and if I have sufficiently assisted you as we work on the honor system here. Thank you.

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 10 months ago.

Friendly reminder, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance.