Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Shelia ***** Im about to go through a divorce and my Husband

Customer Question

Customer: Shelia ***** Im about to go through a divorce and my Husband is sending treats and annoying messages to my phone (Texting). We live in different states but he comes here just to stalk me. What should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sorry- threats
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: We've been separated since 2013 he lives in ******** and I live in ********. He texts me every week about how he is going to ruin my life, kick me out of my home, even sending messages about a gun
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he is stalking and harassing you, then as part of the divorce you need to file for a stay away (restraining order) order or order of protection. If you file this in Texas where he lives, that is the best way to do it and the text messages would be your evidence. Once you obtain the order in Texas, you would take that order to the court in GA where you are located and you would file it with a petition to domesticate foreign judgment in the GA court, meaning that if he comes to GA, he can be held in violation of the order and also if he harasses you in Texas he can be held in violation there as well.