RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

If I have dropped charges against my husband violence with

Customer Question

Customer: If I have dropped charges against my husband for domestic violence with battery assault will they still prosecute him?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I called the police because I felt threatened but it was just a misunderstanding. He is not a violent person and I misunderstood his actions. He was not really threatening me so I have dropped all charges. Will they still try him if they have not witness to the actions and they have no weapon so to speak to prove domestic violence.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Unfortunately, the decision whether to prosecute is never up to an individual. Rather, it is up to the state, through the prosecutor's office, to make the determination whether to file charges or not. All you can do is make your wishes known to the prosecutor. No attorney can guarantee you that they will drop charges or tell you what the outcome would be. In my experience, where a "victim" is uncooperative and there is no other evidence, yes, a prosecutor is more likely to dismiss the charges. The concern any prosecutor has of course is releasing someone who then potentially hurts the victim again. I know you are saying that is not going to happen in this situation - I'm just showing you what they must take into consideration.

Do you need any additional information or clarification about this answer? If not, I would kindly ask that you leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for their time and expertise. Thank you very much.