Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was convicted of a felony DUI in NV in 2009. I served

Customer Question

I was convicted of a felony DUI in NV in 2009. I served a6-15 year sentence and expired on 12/31/2015. I moved back to CA. NV DMV has a hold on my license stating that I can only get a restricted license if i am a resident and employed in NV. Is there any thing I can do? I spent 6+ years in prison for the third DUI in my life. There were no injuries and the judge broke the plea bargin deal. Is it ex post facto to pinish me after servimng mt sentence?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I am sorry to hear of this situation. Unfortunately, there are no ex post facto grounds because the DMV restriction is a civil one; not criminal. Unfortunately, there is no recourse unless you move back and become the NV resident. Your alternative is to wait the 3 years from the date of expiration of your sentence. That would be 12/31/18