Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I received a criminal traffic ticket in Arizona ARS

Customer Question

I received a criminal traffic ticket in Arizona ARS 28-70102A3. It says I was driving 94 at the limit of 75. And the ticket also writes "exceed 25 mph", which is not my case, since I exceeded 19 (94-75=19) not 25...Is there anyway to mitigate this as a civil case? Should I hire a lawyer to deal with it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under ARS 28-701.02, it applies to you not because you exceeded 25 MPH, but because you exceeded eighty-five miles per hour in other locations. Yes, you will need an attorney here and the attorney will go into court to try to negotiate with the prosecutor to reduce your speed. The fact of life is that using an attorney would greatly increase your chance of success in getting the best deals, because prosecutors give the best deals to attorneys. If this is your first offense then there is a better chance and they will make a deal of at least a deferred adjudication, which is where you pay the fine and they do not enter judgment and if you get no citations in 6-12 months (depending on the prosecutor) they will dismiss the citation and it will not go on your record.