Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I rented a car and they have not returned it since 10-7-15 I

Customer Question

Customer: i rented a car for someone and they have not returned it since 10-7-15 I made a report with the car place and the cops but the cops havent put it on the hot list yet.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i put this person on as a driver so I cant report it stolen bacause i put him on as a driver. I paid for 2 weeks extra before they would consider reporting it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

What is your question? Have you been charged with a crime?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not really they keep saying it's going to come back on me

Thanks for the reply.

Who is "they?" And what is the question that you want to ask with regard to this? From what I see, you may end up with some civil liability, since you're the one who rented the car. But you wouldn't have any criminal liability unless the state wants to try to prove that when you rented the car for someone else, you knew that person intended to steal it.