Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

If i buy the insurance friends' car, and he drunk driving,

Customer Question

if i buy the insurance for my friends' car, and he drunk driving, will i still be guilty
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a New York State criminal defense lawyer. Are you asking whether you can be charged with driving while intoxicated, only because the car is insured to you? No. If your friend was driving while intoxicated you could not be charged with a DWI.

Of course if your friend lied to the police and gave your name to the police instead of his own that's a different story. So please tell me what happened here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my friend is now buying insurance for other's car. i just want to ask if the driver does something against the vtl, will my friends be charged or what is the results if the driver does do something wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the title of the car is the drivers but the insurance is my friend's name
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

It depends on what he's stopped and cited for.

If your friend is stopped and arrested for driving a car when he is intoxicated, only your friend will be charged with the DWI. It does not matter who owns the car or in whose name the insurance is in.

If your friend is driving someone else's car which has no insurance, then the owner of the car can be charged for not having insurance.