Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was arrested and booked on charges of failer to appear.

Customer Question

I was arrested and booked on charges of failer to appear. But I did appear on the date that was on my ticket and nothing had been filed yet. I'm now paying a 4,600 dollar bill to a bail bondsman. What can I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have proof you did appear to present to the court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a friend with me and I also asked a woman at their office about my court status and she also told me nothing was filed at that time. Nothing in writing.
Thank you for your reply.
In a case such as this, if you bring your witness with you to court, the court will dismiss the charges in about 99% of these cases and your bond will be returned. They can also check the computer to determine when they received the paperwork at the court, since the clerk told you nothing had been filed at that time.
You need to show up in court on this failure to appear charge and you need to plead not guilty and bring your witness and have a conference with the prosecutor and generally the charges will be dismissed.