P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

My Neice in Orange County, California has gotten mixed up

Customer Question

My Neice in Orange County, California has gotten mixed up with a check fraud scam. They wrote checks out to her and she cashed 2 of them at her bank. The third one, she was told her account had been frozen and had a fraud alert attached. She is a straight A college student and swears she didn't know what she was doing was illegal. The amounts were $3000, $1300. She was supposed to be "compensated" and she gave them all of the money. After she called to tell them her account had been frozen thru blocked her. My dad is meeting with a lawyer tommorow but I was just wondering what could happen next. She thinks it also may be gang related. Thx
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

What you are describing is a crime. That is, if she was involved in this criminal activity, she could be charged with a crime.

It is a great idea to meet with a local attorney.

It is also a good idea that your niece refrain from making any statements about this to anyone, including the police. She has an absolute right to remain silent. It would be a good idea to exercise that right.

IF she is charged? Her attorney can assist in her defense.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.