LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

Are records treatment kept confidential and sealed under

Customer Question

Are records for alcohol treatment kept confidential and sealed under HIPAA.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In the US, the privacy of people seeking treatment at drug/alcohol rehabilitation centers is indeed protected under the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does the word protected mean that the records are sealed?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

No, protected means that they are protected from distribution to person's in the health care industry who are not directly involved with your treatment.

They are "essentially sealed" from being distributed to family, friends, relatives and other non-medical related people who you have not given the authority to know about the record.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug