Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My name is ***** *****, my issue is that a home owner ad

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, my issue is that a home owner ad myself have gone into a contract but i have yet to get the paperwork and keys for the house. I want my money back since they have not even tried to contact me.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The agreement was that I give them the money and they hand over the keys for the house I wanted to rent from them. I have there name, address and address of the home they are renting out plus a phone number. I just want my money back if they are not going to give me the keys of the house i am technically renting.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have only till 7:30 but yes until that specific time.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they have not honored the agreement to surrender the keys as agreed and will not return the money (likely because they spent it) you are going to now do what you were trying to avoid, sue them in court and seek a court order of eviction and also cash damages against them for them breaching their contract with you. You have to take them to court to sue them and get a judgment, that is your last option here if they are not getting out and are not handing over the keys.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What if they are in a different State?
You have to sue them in the state where they are located and that means getting a lawyer in that state to do so.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is the likely hood of me winning and reimbursed for my attorney since I didn't breach the contract we made?
Thank you for your reply.
Unless your contract with them provided for attorney's fees, you cannot get attorney's fees only your actual damages, lost rent/money you paid them for keys etc.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am also wondering how long the whole process will be? Thank you for the answers as well.
Thank you for your reply.
The process can be 8-10 months for you to get your money. For eviction, 30 days or less, depending on how busy the court is.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Am I able to talk with a lawyer from a different state even though I am not in that particular state?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will I be able to make arraignments with a lawyer from a different State to start the process without me being there in person?
Thank you for your reply.
You absolutely can. There is no law preventing you from talking to a lawyer in any state. If you have to sue in a different state, then you need to talk to a lawyer in that state. The lawyer will make arrangements with you to handle the case even if you are not there.