Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son, 19, was caught stealing lottery tickets from the

Customer Question

My son, 19, was caught stealing lottery tickets from the mini store he was working at - she made him sign an agreement that he would pay her a large amount of money or she would call the police. Is she now an accessory to that crime?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
She can only make him pay for the tickets he stole, if she is demanding more she could have been committing the crime of extortion and could herself be prosecuted, but he signed the agreement. Once he signed the agreement though, now he is contractually bound to pay and if he reports it now, he can be prosecuted still even if she will not press charges, because the state owns the tickets and is the true victim.