Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I got caught shoplifting at walmart they decided to handle

Customer Question

I got caught shoplifting at walmart they decided to handle it in house now I just got papers in the mail saying that the police are pressing charges not for the incident that day UT I made 2 returns 2 days apart with receipts and they are trying to say I stole the items from the store and used my receipt to return them get the cash and purchase other items they say that they have video footage but didn't charge me with retail so I know they are making things up I never did that I only got the items I was either replacing or going to buy so I could take care of everything at the return desk now I have rsp tbut and TBD and I'm on state parole which means my p.o. can lock me up how do I fix this so my p.o. don't lock me up before this is resolved
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order for the police to get you convicted of shoplifting, they will need to present the evidence of their claims in court to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. Even though you are on parole, in order for you to have your parole revoked they are going to have to prove you actually committed the offenses they are claiming. So you are going to have to make sure you get your attorney to preserve and get a copy of the alleged video evidence and you are going to have to fight the charges if you are claiming you never returned stolen merchandise with those receipts.