Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

My brother-in-law assaulted me three months ago and was

Customer Question

Customer: My brother-in-law assaulted me three months ago and was charged with simple assault and disturbing the peace. Yesterday the prosecuot accepted a plea which dismissed the assault charge and he pleaded guilty to disturbing charge. He paid a hundred dollar fine. That must be all a woman is worth these days. The prosecuot told me that it was in the best interest of the state. What the hell does that mean? I am livid.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He bruised and scratched my arm and he hit me in the head with a land line phone. He and my husband own a company together and I worked there. i am afraid of him and i now work at home.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: What are the chances of getting a restraining order and how often does this happen to women in the state of Nebraska? No one seems to care.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your questions.

Unfortunately, this is a very common occurrence. Prosecutors are overwhelmed with the number of cases that they have. Additionally, it is very expensive, and takes a lot of work to bring any charge to trial. Thus, prosecutors must prioritize which cases will go to trial, and which will be plead. Less serious assualts will receive deals.

The fact that he received a deal should have no bearing on whether you seek and receive an order of protection. In fact, you can receive an order of protection against a person even if that person has never been charged before.

If you feel threatened by your brother-in-law, I would recommend that you seek the order of protection. The underlying facts being what they are, I would be very surprised if you were denied the order.

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to assist.

Please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer is my response is positively rated.

Thank you.