Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Over 30 years ago I was arrested and charged with resisting

Customer Question

Over 30 years ago I was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and I forget what the other charge was. They were bogus charges but I didn't have a lawyer so I plea bargained and got I believe 6 months probation. It was no longer supposed to be on my record. When I tried to get permission to visit prisoners for bible study I filled out paperwork, having forgotten about this incident and was denied because I didn't put it down. What canI do at this point since I can't find the paperwork I had from that time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to go to the court where your conviction occurred and obtain some kind of an official certificate showing the disposition of your case. The clerk of the court can tell you where in your jurisdiction you would be able to obtain that.

Otherwise, if the court no longer has it, you could order a copy of your criminal history from the state here. This is also where you would make contact to correct your record.