Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

My name is ***** *****, I am currently on pre-trail

Customer Question

Customer: Hello,, my name is ***** *****, I am currently on pre-trail supervision for domestic violence (in misdreamor charges.) I have met all of requirements from court for pre-trail supervision. I filed for a motion for early termination of pre-trail supervision. my earliest hearing will be on dec 23rd. I just need to write a letter to family relations counselor explaining why I request for early termination and what I have learned from counseling.. I just need to know what court is looking on my letter? could you give me any inputs on what a letter should look like.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Last January, I had a nervous breakdown that lead to psychiatry hospitalization. my partner called police to get help with transport to the hospital, but I ended up got arrested for brunch of peace and 3rd class assault. I was placed on pre-trail supervision. The conditions of pre-trail supervision are: pay 400 dollars for Domestic Violence education class, attended DV education class, monthly contact with family relation counselor and keep up with all of mental health care appointments.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What state are you in? Is this a federal or state charge?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Connecticut
State level charges

Thank you.

One of the things the judge is looking for in a petition is sincerity. I mention that because it means that it's better coming from you, and there aren't specific forms or templates I can give you that you can just fill in. The letter has to come from the heart. The judge wants to see that you feel remorse for what happened, that you have completed all of the requirements of your pre-trial supervision, and that you're not going to commit another crime. Judges don't like to hear explanations or excuse for why something happened - they just want to know that you're sorry. You want to highlight facts in your life that show a low risk of having more charges in the future. If you can get a letter from the family relations counselor, that will help significantly. Letters from family and friends other than the victim could also help, but the letter from you and the counselor is more important.

The Connecticut DOC's Offender management plan calls for them to meet with each offender to set their expectations to receive the earliest possible early release. If that has not happened yet, talk to your probation officer about what other things you can do to help the judge agree to release you from pretrial supervision early. If you have had that meeting, then your letter will stress the things the probation officer talked about. Also see if your probation officer will come to court and talk to the judge on your behalf or submit a letter supporting early release, because that can go a long way.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.