Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal law experience in both JAG and the civilian sector.
20011183

A friend of mine is 26 talking with a 17 year old in

Customer Question

A friend of mine is 26 talking with a 17 year old in Florida. Is that legal? They have only kissed but he says he wants to do more with her? If it is not illrgal, what is he legally allowed to do? She turns 18 in -2 weeks.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Florida's age of consent is 18, which includes any sexual contact or activity (meaning oral, anal or vaginal penetration or contact).

Now, there is a "Romeo and Juliet" type rule there that allows 16 and 17 year olds some degree of consent, but the age of the older person is also taken into consideration. So, sexual activity between a 16-17 year old with someone that is 18-23 years old is excluded. However, any person aged 24 or older who engages in any sexual activity or contact with someone 1-17 years old is guilty of a second degree felony in the state of Florida.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If so, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.