Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

I took a plea deal on a conviction of luring a minor. My

Customer Question

I took a plea deal on a conviction of luring a minor. My probation officer has taken it upon herself to void the deal and make my life hell. I never had contact with a minor, was unaware she was a minor. My P.O. lies to me, degrades me, made me quit 2 jobs, is making register as a sex offender for life as high risk. Now she is trying to get me to sign a paper stating I had contact with a minor. She visits with my exwife. She is constantly having me arrested for minor infractions. Now she wants me to wear a GPS device. Do I have to just keep putting up with the abuse or do I have some legal recourse?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

As you may or may not know, the probation officer cannot force you to do anything that is not in the court order from the court in which you were convicted. If it is not in the order, the probation officer cannot force it...period. Moreover, the officer cannot force you to register as an offender unless the order mandates this or there is a statute that mandates it.

You asked if there is any mechanism for recourse. The answer is yes. You can petition the court to order a new probation officer take over your case. In the petition, you can cite what this person has been doing to you and how you have been treated. You can use this treatment as a mechanism to get away from her.

I would also report this treatment to your local ACLU office. The ACLU frequently investigates matters of abuse such as this one by government authorities. They will look into your case and even appoint a law to handle it for you when necessary. They can also apply political pressures as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars).

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in with you to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!