MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

If a neighbor, without my knowledge or consent and without

Customer Question

If a neighbor, without my knowledge or consent and without being at home, put a friend or contractor onto my roof to repair his siding and I thought I was being burglarized through my vaulted ceiling skylights, is he liable for trespassing?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is the only access that the contractor has to your neighbor's side of the roof through your roof?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In order to repair/replace his siding, yes, the contractor must climb onto my roof.

Unfortunately, while the polite thing for your neighbor to have done would have been to give you the proper notice, he is not obligated to do so in this situation and it would not be considered trespassing by the contractor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how that is possible. I don't even believe it was an insured contractor and the homeowner was not at home for discussion. Further, our townhome bylaws seem to state otherwise.

If the contractor is not insured and any damages occurred from his work, then you would have a cause of action against your neighbor.

Do you have a copy of your bylaws or the section you are referring to for me to be able to review?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read the bylaws, specifically Covenants, and sent an email to one of our officers yesterday outlining what occurred and siting the specific article and section.

What do the bylaws say?