Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My name is ***** *****. I have a criminal law question.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. I have a criminal law question.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: To make a long story as short as possible...As an allied health care worker, I recently applied for a medical job on Craigslist. I received a swift response from the supposed owner of the medical practice; he claimed that he was on "international business" and, right now, needed someone to run errands for him including purchasing of materials and managing his PO Box. He claimed this could turn into longer-term employment at the office when he was back in the country.I quickly flagged this as a scam after I received a similar e-mail from the same guy when I applied for a completely unrelated job on Craigslist. In the second e-mail, the guy gave a different return date to the US than in the first e-mail.However, yesterday I received a legitimate Bank of America check in the mail for ~$2,000 as well as an e-mail from the guy saying to expect the check as an advance for services rendered, yet to be determined. He got my address from my resume.He told me to deposit the check to my bank and, once the funds have cleared, he'll provide further instructions on what to do.This still stinks of illegal scam to me, although the check looks legitimate. So, theoretically, if I gave him the benefit of the doubt and cashed the check, and then it turned out to be for illegal activities I had no knowledge of, could I be prosecuted for conspiracy or involvement?Note: I did NOT cash the check! I need sound advice from a lawyer before I proceed with any of this, because it just seems too shady.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. It's not urgent.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This is a very common scam.

So let me make sure I understand this correctly. You cashed the check or deposited it?