Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I was pulled over speeding ticket and they issued it then

Customer Question

Customer: i was pulled over for a speeding ticket and they issued it then Asked me if they could search my car I said no so they said they would bring a dog to sniff the car I said sure then asked to step out of the car and the wanted to search me aNd I said no you have no right to search me no proabable cause, I have prior felonies from years ago does that give them proabablr cause ton search just because of my prior feleonies?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what details do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Were simply "patted down" by the police or strip searched?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
he was stpped for speed then they said to step out because the dogs were coming to sniff the car when he stepped out they wanted to pat him down so he said no but finally let them then thet found a minutual amount of stuff in a bag in his pocket
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the only proable cause for search was his past record and he refused them to search just wondering if that is enough proable cause for them to ask him to step out of his car and pat him down

Thank you for your follow up.

Police officers are allowed to ask motorists to step out of the vehicle when the motorist is pulled over for speeding and also the law does allow for a pat down search of the person and the law is designed for the safety of the police officers involved in a traffic or other stop of a citizen.

So, unfortunately, it would appear that the officers did not violate any law or civil rights in a similar situation.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.