Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I preleased a truck an the person has had a accident in it

Customer Question

I preleased a truck an the person has had a accident in it .The state states its my responable for it .truck is registered to me .But would it go on the drivers fault
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What state are you in? Was the person driving your car a minor? Does you insurance cover other people driving your car? Do you happen to know if that person was insured?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
florida not a minor not that I know was preleased to him have no idea
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
was a preleased truck an he was supposed to take care of all this insurance registraion
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I got a letter from fmv about it
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
have insurance but not on truck that he has

Ok, thank you.

Florida law unfortunately does make you responsible as the vehicle's owner until you notify the state that you've transferred the vehicle to someone else and are no longer driving it. However, you're allowed to sue the person who took the car from you to recoup any amounts you have to pay.

The accident will not appear on your driving record, because you didn't cause it. Since you don't have insurance on that vehicle, your insurance should not increase because they're not paying a claim.

If you haven't done so already, send the Florida DMV a Notice of Sale so they have record that someone else has taken the car.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/forms/BTR/82050.pdf

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.