Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

Dcfs forcing me to press charges due to domestic violence

Customer Question

Dcfs forcing me to press charges due to domestic violence incident.Son was not in the house when incident occurred. What do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 11 months ago.

What do you mean when they say they are forcing you? What have they done?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They came to my house and said depending on what I do in court meaning if I'm going to press charges then they would either take my son if I don't press charges or they won't. The thing is the officer who reported the issue to DFs said that my son was there and he was not present. The officers I first worked with knew that and I have proof that he was at my mothers house.I was already going to file an order of protection against my abuser shouldn't that be enough for them not to take my son. Aside from that the officers said they were pressing charges on my behalf because I explained that if I did I felt I would anger the abuser more so for my protection I agreed with the officers that they would and I would seek the order of protection.

If you are being abused, were going to seek an order of protection anyway, why not seek to have this person charged for assaulting you?

I can advise how to navigate with child services, but why complicate things? If you're being abused you should keep your safety and that of your son at the forefront.

If child services believe that this person being present creates a dangerous environment for your son, they'll start a court process to have him removed. Unless you say that this person never abused you or your son, if you are unwilling to seek charges, it will appear that you are the stereotypical abused spouse, and they'll likely take your son.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But I agreed with the officers that they would file the charges on my behalf. Only to protect myself further.

Ok

If there are no other questions, please remember to rate my response. Just Answer only credits me for my responses if they have been rated positively. Thank you.