Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am getting harassing texts trying to black mail me. Is

Customer Question

I am getting harassing texts trying to black mail me. Is that illegal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 12 months ago.

Yes. Harrassment is a misdmeanor and blackmail is a felony. You can take the text messages to the police and tell them that you want charges pressed and you want a criminal restraining order and get the person charged with a crime. Or if you'd rather warn the person first, you could get a lawyer to send the texter a cease and desist letter warning that further contact of this sort will result in your pursuing legal remedies.

If that's not what you want to know, reply with more details and refine your question, and I'll be happy to expand my answer.