Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Retired LEO carrying firearm concealed while working unarmed

Customer Question

Retired LEO carrying firearm concealed while working unarmed security in georgia.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

What is the concern? What information can I provide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can carry a firearm under LEOSA public law 111-272. Also I have a Georgia carry permit. Georgia says
you cannot work armed security without a blue card. This is an unarmed position , but I like to know can I carry my firearm concealed because of my status. The firearm has nothing to do with the security position.
the firearm will be out of sight and concealed.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

An individual carrying under LEOSA is carrying under federal law and not in accordance with the laws of the state they are in. That is why you also have your GA permit. And I suggest that as long as it is not a "Gun Free Zone" as defined in the state of GA and your employer permits it you still would need the Blue Card or get a waiver because acquiring the blue card required firearm education and training. So, I suggest, if your employer is amenable to you carrying, you need to consult with the Office of Security, explain your training and background and see what kind of waiver they can give you. With proper documentation, you might be able to be exempt but still be given the Blue Card which would comply with the GA law.