Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

How can I find out (I got a call saying this person was

Customer Question

How can I find out (I got a call saying this person was being held for smuggling gold bars from Ghana )uf this person is being held in custody
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 12 months ago.

Good evening:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to answer your legal question. May I ask if the person claimed he or she was from a certain 'department' from the government of Ghana? I only ask this because there has been a long pattern of scams just like this that has been going on? If these individuals on the phone asked for money, bank transfers or anything of the like, it will most certainly be a scam as governmental officials never ask for money or anything of value, especially over the phone.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It looks like the original expert who was helping you opted out. Did you still need help with this? Who called you? Which government agency is purportedly holding this person? Are they asking you to do anything to ensure the person's release? How do you know the person being held? Have you ever met them in person rather than spoken online or over the phone?