Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I have been resurchung the legality of Megans Law since my

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have been resurchung the legality of Megans Law since my conviction was in 1990
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Megan's law did not exist when I was convicted now all of a seddent I find it was added to my sentance without a judge giving an order
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Many states have passed laws to make registration under a Megan's Law statute retroactive. That means that even if the law was not in existence at the time of the offense, the offender must register under Megan's Law.

This retroactive status has been challenged successfully by offenders in many states.

If your state has this retroactive requirement, and the law has yet to be successfully challenged, you will need to register.

Please remember to rate my response when you have a chance. I only receive credit from Just Answer after my response is rated. Thank you.