Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

My friend has had s sentence discharged years ago and I

Customer Question

My friend has had his sentence discharged years ago and I understand he has no right to concealable firearm but what about shotgun or rifle for hunting and sport shooting . Does he need a pardon for shotgun or rifle ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

If your friend was convicted of a felony, he may not legally own or possess any firearm.

If it was the type of felony that could have been charged as a misdemeanor, he may petition the court that convicted him to reduce the conviction to misdemeanor, then he may own a firearm. If it was not the type that could be charged as a misdemeanor, then his own option is to petition the governor for a pardon.

Please remember to rate my response when you have a chance. I only receive credit from Just Answer after my response is rated. Thank you.