Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am being acused of stealing a piece of clothing from work

Customer Question

I am being acused of stealing a piece of clothing from work wich I have no recollection of doing it, suposedly they have a video and even the old shirt I was using and left behind, again I have no recollection of doing such a think. What can I do? Plus they refuse to show me the video so I could defend my self agains or explain wherever is In it
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Have they turned this matter over to the police yet? Do they intend to prosecute? Have you been suspended or fired from your job yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they wanted me to get the merchandise back and I to give them a statement that I did it. And I Will be aloud to stay at work, but like I said I don't remember doing any of it, I asked to see the video and see the shirt they say is mine but they didn't let me. I stated that is possible it happens since they say they got fotage and if I have anything I will return it. Shouldn't have done it but I have a greencard here and dealing with the cops would be bad I needed to avoid it. Just felt the presure to asume something I don't remember doing it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Told them many times if they told me exactly what I was being acused to have taken I could say for sure yes I took by mistake and didn't noticed and here it is or no I don't have it
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I don't know whether the company really has a video or not. They could have been lying to you just to see whether you would then confess to the crime. If this becomes a criminal case, you'd be entitled to see the video against you, but your employer doesn't have to show you anything at this point.

You need to go get yourself a local criminal lawyer, and you should not be talking further to your employer or to the police about this theft without that lawyer being with you. If I have read your answer correctly, you have made matters worse for yourself by admitting to your employers that you did steal their merchandise. Your confession is a record that can be used against yourself. Since you've admitted the crime, they will likely eventually suspend or fire you and turn the matter over to the police, because you're not going to be able to return what you never really took. Then, when you try to change your story, the police are not likely to believe you. You want to refer all further conversations about this to your lawyer.

If you have a green card, this matter is potentially serious for you because a theft conviction can jeopardize your status to remain in this country. You have a right not to give evidence against yourself.