Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My boyfriend stole title and registration and is now trying

Customer Question

My boyfriend stole title and registration and is now trying to register the vehichile were in California I have the certified check stub that was used to pay for the vehicle along with application for duplicate title and vehicle transfer form singed by car dealership that I purchased vehicle from! T
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you report the theft to the police? What is your question for us on this matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to report the theft but police wouldn't take report. I need to know will DMV take car out of person who stole paperboy and registration will the DMV allow me to register car once I show the receipt and other paperwork?

Thank you for your reply.

If he stole the registration and paperwork, you have to prove that to DMV before they will change the title back. You would have to file a civil suit against your ex for conversion and "replevin" or return of your property and fraud/forgery (if he signed your name to change the title) in order to get your car back if the DMV will not accept your proof that he did not have authorization to change the title.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the DMV accept the check stub as proof I purchased the car along with the paperwork that car sales lot prepared?

Thank you for your reply>

The proof of payment would be proof you bought the car, but you would also have to prove you never transferred the car to him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't my word good?

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid in legal matters your word nor his word are any good. You would need to actually prove you did not allow him to transfer the car into his name. This means you have to prove he forged your signature on documents or have witnesses that can attest you did not give him the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of civil lawsuit do I file? What court do I file the lawsuit in?

Thank you for your reply.

You file it in superior court in CA for conversion (taking your property) and replevin (return of your property) and also fraud or forgery if he signed your name to anything.