Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a tax warrant from the state of new york...I am

Customer Question

I have a tax warrant from the state of new york...I am working with a service/attorney to resolve it. However, I'm supposed to go to florida next month. Will a tax warrant/judgement keep me from flying?
It's been BAD...very bad. Suspended license. Levies. I've been trying to work with them, but they keep hitting me. It's about $16K in taxes, including fees, and I keep getting excuses about how hard NYS is to work with...
I just want this over with, I want to settle, get my license reinstated and move on. But, with how slow this is going I'm afraid of what else the state will and can do - afraid I'll get stopped at the airport, for example.
Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A tax warrant will not keep you from flying. It is not an arrest warrant and they do not check your record anyway when you are flying domestic. So they would not know if you have any warrant or not.
You would just need to show some valid ID when you fly and that is all you need to do.