How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in north carolina and have a hearing no contact order

Customer Question

hi michelle, i live in north carolina and have a hearing for a no contact order on monday. i am trying to determine whether i need an attorney. the allegations are lies. the plaintiff is a married woman that was caught in bed with my ex boyfriend. i broke up with him. it happened last year. two weeks ago, she filed a 50C against me. I have not contacted her in anyway, but i know his most recent girlfriend did contact the plaintiff, threatening to tell her husband, because the affair has continued. Maybe the plaintiff thinks these messages came from me? her order stated that i had contacted her thru other people, using other people's devices and social media. these are lies. what do i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.


During this hearing, you will need to respond to the plaintiff's allegations with admissible evidence [your testimony under oath that the evidence plaintiff presents is not related to you or that she has the wrong person, or that you have not contacted her, or proof that you were somewhere else on the dates of the alleged contact (bring witnesses) to deny what she alleges. The judge will then consider all of the evidence and decide whether or not the unlawful conduct actually happened by you or someone else. The judge has to believe that it is “more likely than not” that YOU were the one that stalked her to rule in her favor. If you have the funds to hire a lawyer, then I would do so because you do not want a technical mistake to cause you to lose this one and then it ends up on your record and makes it harder for you to get jobs down the road.

Related Criminal Law Questions