Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am on parole in Georgia and am looking to go to a

Customer Question

I am on parole in Georgia and am looking to go to a methadone treatment center. Can my parole officer violate me for doing so???
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Possibly yes, unless one's parole allows such treatments. If the parole does allow such treatments, then searching for a treatment center is not a violation. However, if the parole does not allow such treatments, then the parole officer can see this as an attempt to get drugs, and can indeed attempt to violate your parole under the accusation that you were seeking drugs, akin to basically trying to "score" with a drug dealer.

If your parole does not allow treatment like this, but you / your physician feels that this is a good idea, then someone in your situation can ask to have the parole requirements modified to allow treatment at a methadone clinic. Let me know if you want information on how to do so.

Good luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.