Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was just reading about VTL0511 01. I was arrested driving

Customer Question

I was just reading about VTL0511 01. I was arrested driving my vehicle. From what I understand my driving privileges were suspended on Nov 26 1963. That was the year that I was born. What can I do about it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a New York State criminal lawyer.

Go to the DMV and try to get your license cleared up by your oourt date. Frequently the DA will dismiss your case with proof your license is now clear. Otherwise, obviously, the suspension date is a mistake and your case can be dismissed on those grounds. If the 1963 date turns out to be a typo and the judge grants the People the right to amend the date on the complaint, in my experience you'll be offered a plea to a VTL 509, which is a violation and not a crime and can dispose of your case without ending up with a misdemeanor conviction.

VTL 511 is not a traffic infraction, however. It is a misdemeanor, so for best results, show up on your court date with a criminal lawyer.