Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Im trying to find out if I have firearm restriction

Customer Question

Im trying to find out if I have firearm restriction for an expunged(2009) drug felony lovel 4 contrary to k.s.a.65-4160(a)conviction back in 1999 eighteenth judicial district court of sedgwick county, Kansas.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

As your felony was not a crime of violence enumerated under Kan. Stat. Ann. 21-4704, your state gun right should have been automatically restored to you 5 years after the completion of your sentence. Kan. Stat. Ann. 21-4204(a)(3).

Whether or not the Federal government will honor your expungement and remove the bar against your Federal gun rights, is another matter. They should, but the only way to find out for sure would be to try to purchase a gun and see if you can clear the NICs check.