Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have being caught shoplifting at Sephora. They called it a

Customer Question

Hi, I have being caught shoplifting at Sephora. They called it a petty theft as the amount was $75 or so and made me sign some paper works and said to expect a letter with a fine to arrive in about 3 weeks time. Now I want to know how to take care of this situation. I am also banned for 5 years. Now, I want to know if I should pay the fine or not. Also, If these records are going to be permanent since it is my first time and as much as I regret doing it as I really wish that I can have it disappear for good in terms of record. So please advise what to do. Also, Is there anyway for me to get that ban off since I'm a VIB Rouge customer.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and this incident occurred in New York about a month and half ago. Now I am planning to find employment in the United States soon. Is that going to create any complications for me or even in future?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

When someone is suspected of being a shoplifter the store can exercise criminal and civil remedies. Here, rather than have you arrested, the store chose to handle this through a civil fine and banning you from further going to the store. This is really good, even though it means you cannot shop there, because it doesn't give you a criminal record. You can honestly say that you have never been arrested or convicted of a crime when you are looking for employment because it is true, and it shouldn't create any problems in a background check of any sort.

If you do not pay the fine, Sephora is not likely to sue you. It would cost them far more to take you to court than they could possibly recover. HOWEVER, Sephora could still choose to prosecute you, which then WOULD give you a criminal record and cause future problems for you with employers and others. The best way to ensure that Sephora won't want to have you prosecuted is to pay the fine and honor the ban.

After the fine has been paid and some time has passed, you can write to Sephora's corporate management and see if they will be willing to lift their ban early. But that's at their discretion, since you signed paperwork agreeing to civil sanctions.