Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

T KNOW VERY MUCH ABOUT COMPUTER/INTERNET SECURITY. I BELIEVE

Customer Question

I AM OLDER AND DON'T KNOW VERY MUCH ABOUT COMPUTER/INTERNET SECURITY. I BELIEVE I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED 3 TIMES BY PEOPLE WHO CALL ON MY PHONE OR SEND ME A POP UP TO INFORM ME THAT MY COMPUTER IS IN GRAVE DANGER BECAUSE THERE ARE WORMS, TROJANS AND VIRSUSES IN MY COMPUTER. I FELT MYSELF PANIC AND THOUGHT MY PERSONAL INFORMATION AND BANK ACCOUNT HAD BECOME VULNERABLE AT THAT MOMENT. I ALLOWED THESE PEOPLE TO GET INTO MY COMPUTER TO FIX THE PROBLEMS. THEN THEY CHARGED ME $400.00, $500.00 AND $680.00 THIS HAPPENED IN FEB.2015 AND TWICE IN OCT. 2015. WHEN I FINALLY RESEARCHED COMPUTER SCAMS ON THE INTERNET I FOUND MANY REPORTED THIS TYPE OF THING AS BEING A SCAM; EVEN THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. WHAT REALLY SHOCKED ME WAS THAT THERE ARE MANY WEBSITES OR COMPANIES ON THE INTERNET WHICH OFFER TO ***** FOR FREE OR FOR A SMALLER FEE. THE PEOPLE WHO CHARGED ME $680.00 CLAIMED THAT SINCE I AM USING WINDOWS THAT I NEEDED THEM AS MICROSOFT CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS. THAT COMPANY IS xxxxxxxxxxxxxx AND ALL SPOKE WITH AN ACCENT. WHAT CAN I DO TO CONVINCE MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY THAT THIS WAS HOAX?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If you filed a complaint with the police and report that this company defrauded you, this would be highly persuasive evidence that you believe yourself to have been the victim of a scam. Whether this would be sufficient for your credit card to refund your money is another matter, however, since you voluntarily chose to do business with GTS and you authorized your credit card carrier to make the payments.

Your remedy, if your card carrier will not issue you a charge back, would be to go after the company if they did not perform the service that you paid them for. You could file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau, your State Attorney General's Office and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. If that gets you nowhere, you can take the company to small claims court.