How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 23526
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was accused of forcible touching no evidence was presented

Customer Question

I was accused of forcible touching no evidence was presented its basically a he say she say case and they are not trying to lower this to a b misdemeanor or even lower so I will have to force this to trial to prove I'm innocent I have a great job that I cannot lose I am very afraid
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, many cases are he said/she said cases. The words of the complainant are evidence, however, and at trial a judge will charge the jury with the fact that the testimony of one witness is sufficient for them to vote to convict, if they believe the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. That said, a criminal defendant never has to prove his innocence. It is the job of the state to prove guilt and the DA must prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. It's the heaviest burden known in all of law, and this is not going to be a slam dunk for the prosecutor without any corroborating evidence.

Though I cannot tell you not to worry about this case, in my experience I have found that if a deal is what you want, and your defense attorney draws the case out, eventually the DA will reduce the charges. I've seen some A misdemeanors turn into dis cons and ACDs when the case gets old enough so that the DA will agree to just about anything to get it off of his desk.

Related Criminal Law Questions