Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was a arrest under the influence of drugs (speed) I never

Customer Question

I was a arrest for driving under the influence of drugs (speed) I never finished my drug classes only did five out of twenty so that but a warrent my arrest this was in 1993 this was in California moved to Australia stopped doing drugs stared a family know all these years have gone bye like to go back for a holiday have a New Zealand passport will I get arrest at the airport when check finger print thank you xxxxxx
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the State of CA has a warrant for your arrest for the failure to complete your sentence, then when you enter the US they will detain you and contact CA to determine if CA wants to pay to have you brought to CA for the court to deal with your case. It all depends on where you enter the US as to whether or not CA wants to pay to bring you back to CA. The more it will cost them, the less likely they will pay and they will instruct USCIS to release you.
In most of these cases, they consider it a minor issue so CA will not pay to bring you back to CA unless you are being detained somewhere that is close to CA.
However, technically, yes, you could be arrested upon entry to the US. It is just that in reality, if it costs CA too much to get you back they will tell USCIS to release you and tell you to appear or get an attorney to clear up the warrant.